Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Customer Focus - Helping the relationship between horse and owner

Laura DeAngelo and her Raptana

On a recent trip to Virginia for a graduate school reunion, I took the opportunity to meet a few Simple Equine customers from the mid-atlantic region.  One of these customers was Laura DeAngelo.  Laura is a multi-talented woman, the manager of a large tack store, the owner of her own horse and rider training business, and the artist of commissioned pet portraits.  Are you seeing a theme here?  Yes, Laura is devoted to horses like so many of us, and is lucky enough to make a living that is fully related to the horse industry in one way or another.

On a rainy day, I rolled up the gravel driveway to the farm where Laura does a lot of her horse and rider training.  She also boards two mares at this farm.  After we greeted each other, the first order of business was to meet Laura's two mares, Sookie and Raptana.  We ambled down to the large and beautiful green pasture where all the mares were peacefully eating the lush grass.

Right away, it was easy to see Laura's passion for horses.  The smile on her face grew as we approached young Sookie, a paint quarter horse just starting her eventing career.  We walked a little further afield to greet Raptana, a lovely, tall and athletic chestnut.  Laura has known both for pretty much their whole lives, as she started them both and has done most of their training.  We walked back towards Sookie, and Laura gently put on her halter.  Then it was off back up the hill to the barn so that Sookie could be groomed and tacked up.

 Laura with Raptana and Sookie

As Laura got Sookie ready, we chatted about horses, actually, I mostly peppered Laura with questions which she graciously answered.

How long have you been involved with horses?

"My mom says I was in love with horses before I ever saw one.  Though none of my immediately family rides, I sometimes wonder if it was something in my genes - I know that I had ancestors who were accomplished equestrians.  I've also always been fond of all animals.  As a child I was in awe of the horses grace and beauty."

"I convinced my mom to let me take riding lessons.  It came to me naturally.  But I struggled with my confidence in the saddle, I was a bit of a perfectionist.  If I couldn't do it correctly, I would get a little stressed or nervous.  I would think about all the possibilities of what could happen.  I was never the kid egging on my friends to go galloping across a field.  I'd be more likely to say that we should be walking across the field because of all the unknowns - whether the horses might become too excited or do something silly, whether there would be uneven ground etc.  I even had instructors who said that I was the only thing holding back my own riding ability.  What I realize now, when I reflect on that time as a novice, was that I was cautious, not because I was scared of horses or of riding, but because I knew that there was so much about the world of horses that I just didn't know."

"As I learned more and more, my confidence started to grow.  Also, when an instructor says you are the one holding yourself back, I think it makes you even more determined.  I became more devoted, I gained more knowledge, and got better and better.  Perhaps it was more of a slow and steady approach, maybe a bit unusual for a kid, but it worked for me."

Laura and Raptana


How did you know you wanted a career in the horse industry?

"Horses help me better myself as a person.  So many of the skills we learn in communicating with horses, enable us to improve our own lives.  The relationship and communication between horse and rider is what I really love."

"Horses have also been the one constant in my life.  Whether I've been down, or had a bad relationship, or even just a bad day, I could pull myself together and speak the horses language.  They would be 110% willing to work with me and that was a very amazing thing.  Even if a ride wasn't that good, you could go home, think about it, and try again the next day.  The best part is the horse doesn't hold a grudge the next day and is ready to begin again.  It's so incredible.  I'd like to be able to be like a horse: forgive and move on, and be flexible and so adaptive.  They are incredible creatures.  I continue to be awed and inspired by them.  They are our mirrors and a window into our own soul.  There was no doubt I needed a career that involved these amazing animals."

Laura giving a young horse some trail experience

Tell me a little bit about your training and teaching philosophies.

"In my business, I mostly work with horses who seem to be having an issue.  By issue I mean that there is usually a break down in communication between them and their rider, and it's causing trouble or friction in their relationship.  I will often work with the horse on my own, but I highly encourage the rider to be involved.  Yes, I often need to work with the horse myself for a period of time, but in the end it is the horse and rider relationship that needs to change and strengthen.  Oftentimes the horse is reflecting the rider.  My goal is to create peace and unity between the horse and rider."

"The first question to ask is, 'What is the root cause of why the horse is acting out in a particular way?'  Once we can reach the answer to that question, we can come to a solution.  It's also a matter of coaching the rider, to try and help them understand the situation and see things from a different perspective.  In the end, the experience has got to be fun and enjoyable for the horse and the rider.  I try to develop both horse and rider to have confidence in what they are doing, which in turn creates a real relationship."

"One of the best things for me is that seeing the elation when something clicks for the rider, when they think, Aha! that was really it.  The rider feels great, because they have been able to communicate in an easy, simplistic manner that the horse understood.  Thus both horse and rider are content."


Champions Laura and Sookie

What advice would you have for other riders?

"Remember why we did this to begin with.  We all started because we loved the creature.  We had an initial love and obsession for the horse.  The horses heart should be be at the center of everything we do.   If all we want is recognition and ribbons, it's at the sacrifice of the horse.  It's not about the fame, ribbons or competition.  You should ride because you enjoy it.  The horse needs to enjoy being with us as well. A rider should strive to find a place where the horse feels happy and relaxed about their job."

"Take the time to listen to your horse, and don't hesitate to get help if you are having trouble.  Even Olympic level riders get help with their riding and their horses.  We should all be trying to help each other be better with our animals.  There is no place for ego with riding.  Confidence yes, ego no.  Ego will get us in trouble.  Have the courage to admit when you are wrong, and admit where your weaknesses are.  The horse will often tell us where our weaknesses are.  We need to observe that and acknowledge it and work through it."


Laura giving Raptana a well deserved pat

What is your favorite Simple Equine product and why?

"Sookie, with her four white stockings, has thin, sensitive skin.  She is susceptible to skin conditions on her legs, especially when it is really wet and muddy.  The Healing Calendula Salve really helps her.  With scratches, it softens everything to where it will come off and then help to treat it.  I also believe it protects the skin and keeps out unnecessary water moisture."
We love Laura's thoughts on horses, riding and training, and thank her for being a great customer!

 Laura and Sookie

This post is based on experience, learning and opinion.  You may or may not agree with what is written, but we hope that you will be left with information to consider, mull over, laugh at, or even agree to disagree about.  Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment